Sunday, May 14, 2017

Mother's Day

After returning from Chicago we as a family hit the ground running.  It has been an incredibly busy and challenging week.  God is teaching us lots of life lessons and we are so thankful even if the lessons hurt a little bit.

This little lady was invovled in a musical at church called It's Cool in the Furnace based on the bible story of Shadrach, Meshach, Abednego and Daniel.  The show was really amazing!

We are learning with Hope that there are things like piano and basketball that are in her comfort zones.  Solos in musicals and dancing at a dance are way out of her comfort zone.
I do love seeing her little smile and I love that she is growing up in a church with lots of opportunities for kids to learn and grow in their faith.

On Friday not only did we pull of a Mother's Day Tea at preschool (thank you Christy)  but with the help of Teri at church we pulled off the first ever Daddy Daughter Dance at FUMC.  Here is Hope with her Daddy:)  Check out the chandelier behind them made by Teri-it is hula hoops, white duck tape, and christmas lights.  It was so pretty!! We served the couples dinner and then opened the dance floor for lots and lots of dancing!  Our church fellowship hall was ROCKING! For desssert we also set up a milk and cookie bar!  
Our little lady was not up for dancing but she did dance for a few special people including her brother.  Our youth worked this event to raise money for their mission trip.  It was really a fun night!  I will admit that after pulling off those two events on Friday I did not leave the couch Saturday!  Ha!  This gal is getting old.
Today is Mother's Day and I have enjoyed a special day with my people.  We met my parents for dinner to celebrate Mothers Day.  My Mom and I are very different-she is way girly and "fru fru" and I live for jeans and my Jesus shirts.  She is a shopper and I try to be but I am soooo not.  She always looks put together with matching jewelry and lets just say I try.  Sometime I will blog about the Sabika jewelry story at the alligator farm!  She is a riot!

My Mom has dealt gracefully with a few hard hands she and my Dad have been dealt lately.  My Mom is still healing from a nasty fall she took after Christmas and she and my Dad caretake on a daily basis my grandmother who can be a wee bit of a challenge.  Bless her.

I also find it ironic and a God thing that in my life that days that I have received the two hardest pieces of news which included the day David was diagnosed with Down Syndrome and and the day he was diagnosed with cancer my Mom was with me.  Both times.  I will never forget coming home from the ER to pack a bag for an extended time period at UVA while waiting on the ambulance to transport me and Dave to UVA and my Mom was here.  She felt as helpless as I did and I am sure that was torture for her to stay back but she did.  It is ironic that my Mom has been here with me through the hardest times-not sure why God designed it that way but it is something I will never forget.  She is tougher than her tiny and bony frame shows!  She and my Dad both exude grace when times are hard.  Happy Mother's Day you sabika jewelry-wearing, days of our lives watching, Jesus loving, momma!!!

This post is out of order again but here is the song that the Daddies and Daughers dance their first dance to.  It is my new favorite song and I was introduced to it from one of our clinic nurses at UVA.  I so hope Hope and her Daddy dance to this at her wedding one day.  The lyrics get me everytime.

I wish that I could be your everything
Be the One to give you all the things you need.  
Sometimes I am going to let you down.
But There's the One and if You'll Just believe
He'll be your hero like He's always been for me
Darling Jesus is the one you need.  

As a Mom when one day down the road when I measure how successful my children will be the size of their house, the number of degreees they obtain, or their bank account will not mean much to me.  I will measure their success on how much they love and serve the Lord as well as how deeply they love others around them.  Jesus is the One they need.  Happy Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment