Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Road blocks

I am devoted planner type of girl.  I have a planner that I keep up with our busy schedule and we live by this planner.  As a youth leader I am already planning our summer activities.  But due to an unexpected broken ankle, I have not looked at my planner in a week as everything is cancelled for now and life has stopped.  I have hit a big road block!

Last weekend on an amazing youth retreat with our youth, I tripped while hiking in Townsend Tennessee.  We were five steps into the hike and I went down.  I had to have surgery the same day and it took  11 screws to fix it.  I am now home and am trying so hard to learn how to be still.


I did sneak out of town for 24 hours with some dear jesus girls to see Beth Moore.  I was DETERMINED to make this trip since we have been planning it for months.  I have even had a counter on my phone counting down the days until we go.  I loaded up with my scooter and wheelchair and off we went. 

The opening worship set I bawled.  I could not have stopped the tears if I had to.  The last time I went to a Beth Moore worship event I was pregnant with David.  I had NO IDEA what was to come in our family's life with his Down Syndrome diagnosis, move to Marion, Mike's crazy job and schedule during the superintendent years, David's cancer, and broken bones, and just life.  Through it all, God has been so incredibly faithful.  He has provided peace to us when our hearts were breaking, he has provided for our physical needs, and given us joy throughout the hard times.  I know that I am out there with my faith but how can I not share how God has provided for us and revealed his glory over and over again?!


While we were sitting in the hospital waiting for my surgery, the other chaperones sent me this picture from our retreat. My heart was broken in a million pieces.  Our spring retreat has become one of my favorite events we do because it is teaching kids how to have relaxing and quiet time with God.  The hike was the only thing we had planned outside of the retreat center. 

I did a Friday night devotional around the campfire to kick off our weekend theme of Be Different based on Romans 12:2.  I had made worksheets for the kids to study scripture and had planned a Saturday night worship plus tons of games and fun.  Because of our awesome chaperones some of it still got to happen but I missed it all.  But after Mike took me to ER and waited on me during surgery I insisted that he go back to the retreat center and proceed with his devotion for the kids and lead the prayer stations.  Despite being so sad over missing it, my heart was so full knowing that Mike was back there pointing kids to Christ.  I am forever grateful that he has embraced my youth job and has rolled up his sleeves to partner with me in this ministry. 


This is the ferocious ledge that I fell off on.  One of these days it will be funny but not yet.  It is also fitting that if you change the El on the end of Laurel to an A it would say Laura Falls.  Yep, that is exactly what happened. 

I am not going to lie, this injury has been so darn hard.  I am not used to sitting and being still.  I am not used to asking for help.  I am not used to this much down time.  But if I believe Jeremiah 29:11 that God has plans for us and they are good to help us prosper and not to harm us, then I will rest.  I am using this time to complete Beth Moore's Entrusted bible study based on Paul and 2 Timothy. 

So I am using my road block to rest and to study God's word.  Road blocks are part of life and I am trying so hard to be still and know He is God.


No comments:

Post a Comment