Sunday, April 1, 2018

Easter 2018

Easter has always been one of my favorite holidays. I love everything about it. Christmas kind of overwhelms me with its high expectations and hype, but Easter is awesome.   Easter is chill and low key and it is all about Jesus. It is my kind of holiday.

This year Easter has looked a little bit different in this house due to my unfortunate life sabbatical called broken ankle. No shopping trips for me for matching outfits for my kids, no easter egg dying, no decorations, nothing. I did not even make it to church today for the youth easter vigil fire or even one church service. 



Yet, this Easter has felt special.  It has felt somewhat holy to me because Jesus and I have had lots and lots and lots of time together in the past four weeks.  We have completed Beth Moore's Entrusted bible study together learning about Paul and Timothy and their ministry throughout Second Timothy.  I am also halfway through Lisa Harper's study of Mark.

 Not only have Jesus and I have spent lots of time together in His word, he has listened (hopefully patiently) to my many questions about my ankle.  "Why now Lord?"  "Why..... there was so much momentum going on within our youth-WHY????"   "Two surgeries, Lord?  TWO?? " "Four surgeons?"  "Wow God, you go big I guess...."

Blessedly I believe God can handle my whiny questions and has used this sabbatical to teach me lots of life lessons.  I am still processing them but this morning my pain woke me up a little after 5 a.m. when I should have been going to church with Kyle and the youth to attend the vigil fire.  I could not go back to sleep so I had my own easter vigil "fire" with my yankee candle, my bible, and Jesus.  It was beautiful and holy time with me and Jesus. 

I do not understand everything that happens on this side of heaven but I do trust who holds me in the palm of His hands.  Jesus.  He is everything to me.  As my one of my favorite Easter songs reminds me:

And as He Stands in Victory
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me
For I am His and He is mine
Bought with the precious blood of Christ 



One of the only traditions we held onto this year was our Easter morning resurrection rolls we make for breakfast.  They are yummy and a great reminder of Jesus' resurrection from the tomb.  I missed making them with my youth and preschoolers, but there is always next year. 



once the church crowd dispersed, we visited church as a family and placed a daffodil from our yard into the beautiful cross for Memaw.  Her last year she was alive she asked me and Hope to put her a "real pretty flower" onto the cross for her.  Memaw loved this tradition as much as we do and no broken ankle was going to keep us from placing her flower into the cross.  I also love that my kids dressed themselves for Easter today-Kyle wore this to the Easter vigil fire and sunrise service and David and Hope dressed themselves.  I love that God is teaching me what is truly important and matching outfits did not make the list this year. 


This sight always makes me smile and maybe shed a few happy tears.  It reminds me of my Memaw whom I miss so much, it makes me grateful for raising our children in church, for the love within these walls, and makes me thankful for a Savior who saved us from our sins. 

Easter..... you are my kind of holiday.  Yummy resurrection rolls, great chocolate, low expectations, and a focus on a living Savior makes for a great holiday.  Even a broken ankle could not keep us from enjoying this wonderful day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment