Wednesday, February 12, 2014

God's Word

Sometimes life throws us a curveball that we never saw coming.  Maybe it is a child with a disability like us, or maybe it is cancer, divorce, bankrupcy, or betrayal.  Some circumstances on this side of heaven just do not make sense.  We all have experienced those times in our lives when the world stands still and we are in utter shock.  This week our sweet community lost another dear person in a very tragic way leaving many in shock and bewilderment. 

I believe that our God has a perfect plan for each of our lives.  As a mere human on this side of heaven I do admit that tragic deaths, childhood cancer, and sudden illnesses make absolutely no sense.  I am no theologian and I do not even try to understand why tragedy strikes.  I do believe firmly in a Sovereign God and we as a family witnessed his presence and his mercy during the nightmare of David's treatment. 

My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.  Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses so that Christ's power may rest on me.
2 Corinthians 12:9-10

During David's treatment this verse from Corinthians encouraged me on those awful days.  We do not know why things happen, but His word tells us that His grace is sufficient for us.  During those times we are weak and begging God for mercy, His strength is shown.  I saw it over and over at UVA and I continue to see it to this day.  When we are weak, He is strong. 

When I was at UVA I always got a little sad on Sunday mornings because I missed being at church in the presence of God and in fellowship with friends.   I missed the uplifting music and hearing God's word preached.  I guess on Sundays mornings I was always just alittle homesick for sweet Smyth County.  This week the technology is up and running where you can listen online to the previous week's sermon.  I had to unexpectedly miss this past Sunday because Hope was not well, and this morning bright and early I got to sit down and listen to the sermon.  When Jonathan preached this sermon Sunday morning he had no idea that this community would lose someone in such a tragic way later that day. 

If you need twenty minutes of encouragement from God's word, I strongly urge you to click on the link below and hear a powerful sermon  on a popular myth that we often hear- "God does not give you more than you can handle."  You are always welcome to visit church in person, but if you do not live locally and need some positive and life-changing encouragement from God's word, join us electronically!  You can listen here.

No comments:

Post a Comment