Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Dave and the SOL's

As he went along, he saw a man blind from birth.  His disciples asked him, "Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind? 

"Neither, this man nor his parents sinned, " said Jesus, "but this happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his life."

John 9:1-3

When thinking about our amazing David these verses tender my heart so much because they answer for me why David was born with an extra chromosome.  He is not a fluke, God did not lose count when handing out his chromosomes, and he is not a medical marvel.  God knitted him together in my womb exactly how David was suppose to be and he is perfect. 

This week David has taken three standardized SOL test mandated by our state.  He took the exact same test that his inclusion classmates took, but he was granted some accommodations.  I will admit that I was nervous.  Not nervous that he would pass, but that he would not do his best and he would be planning hotel parties instead of thinking of famous Americans and science. 

Our David has once again blown us away.  Let me be clear that in the eyes of the state of Virginia he did not pass.  Let me also brag that he blew us away with how high he did score and how hard he worked studying and taking the tests.  He was within a few questions of passing both History and Science.  My heart overflows for him...

David's IQ hovers around mid-60s. David lost a year of education due to stupid cancer.  David went through a lot of chemo/radiation/heavy antibiotics that we will never know how they have adversely affected him.  When it comes to state mandated tests, the cards were stacked against him to fail miserably.  I can brag with Mom pride that my baby gave it his all and he worked to his potential-isn't that all we ever asked of our children?

I must also brag on his amazing school and his team of teachers.  They pushed him and had high expectations that he would do this well.  They never gave up on him and they too are so proud of his accomplishments.

When David is able to accomplish amazing things,I am overwhelmed at our God.  When David accomplishes things that seem beyond him, we can only attribute his success to God.  I will say that this week when watching our son perform beyond what we thought he was capable of,  I just have to stop and marvel at how God is being displayed in David's life.  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment