Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Being a Sports Mommy

I love being a Mom.  I love Jesus.  I love cheering Kyle on in his sports.  I desperately try to be the christian witness that I want to be even in the heat of the game.  Sometimes I do well with this; other times not so:) Being a christian sports mom is one of the hardest jobs I have ever had.

I did not realize this until my baby was on a field, but I am a super competitive person.  Mike is a super competitive guy.  The other night a very human umpire made a wrong call concerning Kyle.  It rattled Kyle and upset him.  I saw that my son was upset on the field and the Momma bear in me was coming to the surface.  I really wanted that umpire to change his call so that my baby could stay on the base. 

About the time my mouth was about to overload me, I heard my husband's voice of integrity.  I heard him say "hustle in come on."  He was not stressed about it and neither should I be.  On the way home we talked about it and I was still a bit righteous about it.  Mike just shrugged his shoulders and said "great life lesson-life is not always fair."

But......  this is where I struggle.  I struggle with being righteous.  Life is very black and white for me and sometimes the world does not cooperate.  I got righteous with something I saw on facebook this past weekend and once again my very Jesus-grounded husband reminded me that our family is trying to live our lives for heaven not for earthly pleasures and treasures.  Oh yeah, I forgot. 

I pray the verse 1Timothy 4:12 will reign in our household

Be an example to all believers in what you say, in the way you live, in your love, you faith, and your purity.

I pray that when the game gets heated or when my competitive streak gets the best of me I remember this new verse that I have stumbled upon to remind me that my actions (even when I yell at umpires or referees) are a reflection of my heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment