Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Summertime and Rahab

This has been our first official week of summer break and we are loving it!  We have spent hours at our local pool, been to the movies with friends, signed up for summer reading at our local library, and slept in a little.  Summer is our favorite time of year around here! 

One of the things I do a lot of in the summer is read.  I am an avid reader.  Christian fiction is my favorite but I will branch out to other things.  This past week I read a book about Rahab from the bible.  It is true to the biblical account with the author taking some literary license to write in some details.  I have read the biblical account this week and this book and I cannot stop thinking about Rahab.

Rahab was a prostitute in the city of Jericho.  She heard of the Israelites and their God and when two Israelite spies came to scout out Jericho before invading, she hid them.  Because she was brave and saved their lives, when the attack on Jericho came they in turn, saved her and her immediate family from doom.

It astounds me that a prostitute that probably did not trust many men, chose to trust in a God that she could not see.  She put her life in danger for the Israelite spies to help God and his army.  A woman that made her living off of men using her chose to trust to unfamiliar Israelite men simply because they came in the name of the Lord?!  Her faith in God amazes me and has touched me this week. 



 
If Rahab, in a city that did not worship God, could chose by faith to trust in our living God why do we have such a hard time trusting?  I have wondered this week if I would have been brave enough like Rahab to harbor two strange men for God?  Would I have waited patiently trusting in the red cord she placed outside of her home so the Israelites would remember her and save her like they promised?  If I was Rahab, I might have heard those walls of Jericho falling and tried to take matters into my own hands instead of waiting patiently for strange soliders to see my red cord hanging from my home?
 
Oh to have the faith in our God like Rahab! 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment