Sunday, November 14, 2010

Contentment

Today I heard a great sermon at church on contentment. We studied Philippians 4:11-13 I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength.

This scripture really has made me think today about truly what makes me happy or content. Back when Mike and I first got married I drug him around every weekend "shopping" and looking around. It created in me a restless heart for things and stuff which caused many discussions as I tried to explain to Mike why we "needed" what I "wanted"

I am so thankful that with a little maturity I have finally realized that my contentment now comes from

watching my three angels romp and play in a pile of leaves versus pursuing the next "must have gadget" at a superstore.

Now I find my contentment in the small joys that come when you have little ones under your roof

instead of worrying about square footage and living in the "right neighborhood." Our house is by no means swanky or magazine-worthy, but it has a great washing machine that keeps the uniforms clean, a functional and warm kitchen that keeps us fed, a great romp and play basement for the kids, and for me that is enough right now. We are so busy chasing our children that our house is pretty far down the totem pole. We are okay with that for now-we will have years down the road when yard and housework will make it higher up the priority list.

But right now I am most content when

I am investing my time in the two things that matter most in this world-my relationship with Jesus and my children. I will never regret one ounce of time that I invest in either of those relationships.

Goodness knows that I have lots of other spirituals issues to wrestle with and mature in, but I am thankful that I have learned a little bit about what is really important in life and contentment. Lots of folks think that we are crazy for keeping the busy schedule we do with the kids, but I am thankful for every ballgame, every mile we ride in the car, and every fast food meal we eat because we are together and content.

I desperately want to be a person that chooses people over things and to live a selfless life. I want my children to know that I am always going to choose them first and that their activities are at the top of my list. I know when I am old and gray I will never regret one ounce of time and love I poured into these little souls God put into my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment