Sunday, August 26, 2012

When You Wish Upon A Star...

Today was a much anticipated day in our house because the Make-a-wish volunteers were coming to interview David about his wish.  David was wild but really was shy about his wish.  One of  the sweet volunteers interviewed me and Mike while the other sweet volunteer took David to the kitchen to interview him.

We sent Kyle with David to help translate if needed, and Kyle did such a good job of sitting quietly and not jumping in and taking over.  He is mature enough to realize that this is David's wish and he was simply helping out.  

After lots of questions for David, his first wish is to go to Disney.  Typically children that go to Disney for Make-a-Wish stay at a special resort called Give Kids the World.  You must check it out www.gktw.org and read the backround story about the resort.  Of course I cried reading about such a fun and special place.  We are beyond excited about this possible blessing.  What a fun and amazing family trip this could be to celebrate surviving cancer treatment as a family!!!!  I could cry thinking about it:)

David is getting stronger and stronger each day.  He has had a height growth spurt just recently and his peace fuzz is multiplying daily.  We are so thankful for each healthy day were we see his spunk and energy return to normal. 

2 comments:

  1. Laura -- I am your mom's cousin, Kathy Wright Sellers. I have been following your blog since my sister Julie came home from a trip with my parents. I'm sure you have heard about our son, Scott. He has Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy, and has been in a wheelchair since 4th grade. When diagnosed they told us we would be lucky if he lived to be 18. He is now 27, and is doing relatively well, although on a vent and totally dependent on others (mom and dad) to take care of him. I enjoy reading your blog, and I'm so thankful and blessed to watch how you have depended on God, and glorified Him through this ordeal. The reason I'm writing now is to tell you we went to Give Kids The World, and it was fantastic. Better than you will ever know until you've experienced it. In fact we liked it almost as much as Disney. Take full advantage of all the things they offer -- parents night out. The other families you meet there will inspire and the volunteers are absolutly amazing. I wish we lived close, as I would love to volunteer for them. Can't wait to hear about your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathy! I am so excited that you all got to experience GKTW village with Scott! Now you have gotten me even more excited for a fun family trip. Thank you for following the blog and praying for us.

    ReplyDelete