Pediatric Cancer Awareness Month
September is Pediatric Cancer Awareness Month. Laura has been reading me statistics about childhood cancer the last few days. I hope that you will indulge us and let me share several statistics and important facts that have been brought to our attention.
- This year 12,500 parents will hear the words "Your child has cancer".
- Despite much progress in the treatment of childhood cancer, 1 in 5 children with cancer will die. Every 6.5 hours a child dies from this terrible disease.
- Right now, over 40,000 children in our country are being treated for cancer.
- Cancer is the #1 leading cause of childhood death from disease.
- 1 in every 300 children will be diagnosed with cancer by the age of 20.
I also ran across a couple of interesting statistics about childhood cancer research.
- It cost an average of $802 million in research and development to bring one new cancer drug to market.
- 3.8% of federal cancer research funding goes to childhood cancer
Gold is the color used to signify childhood cancer. Laura and I were so touched to learn about this last year when a group of loving friends created a Team David t-shirt and the colors used were maroon and gold. The maroon was because David loves the VT Hokies and the gold is symbolic of childhood cancer awareness. Laura and I both cherish our shirts and usually wear them when we go for his appointments. His doctors and nurses must wonder if we own anything else :-)
Please know that those who have dealt with or are dealing with this terrible disease appreciate your prayers, kind words and support. God bless.