Thursday, October 3, 2013

Special Games Day 2013

This week has been a full one with lots of appointments and life.  Yesterday I did take a few hours to go cheer on my favorite Special Games day athlete!  Our county is blessed to have a special lady named Susan Kilby who organizes a day of athletic events that every child with an IEP is invited to attend.  David has been going since he was two and we love this event every year. 

David loved hanging with his friends!  Amber and Adam also came to cheer him on.  This was the first year that Ashley had to miss and she was super sad.  If you have been to this event once you never want to miss it again! 
At the opening ceremony there is always a time where special white balloons are released to remember those students and teachers who are no longer with us.  Here was David releasing his balloon and having a praise moment!

Being silly with Daddy!  Mike was there not only as the  Superintendent but as a Daddy as well:) Last year I bawled like a baby praying and hoping that David was not going to be represented on a white balloon this year. 

By God's amazing grace David was there running his heart out with a full mop of red hair!!  He was "in it to win it" and was VERY competitive.  We really need to pursue opportunities for him to continue with true Special Olympics because this boy is athletic and competitive!!

Being a special needs Mom is one I do not feel worthy of often.  This is never a life I would have signed up for, but now that I am nine years into parenting David I am overwhelmed.  I am overwhelmed how God continues to walk with us in this parenting journey with this amazing child.  I am overwhelmed with pride and love for David who never ceases to amaze us.  I am overwhelmed in thanksgiving that God has used David to make the rest of our family better people.  I am so thankful that God chose me to be David's Mommy.

I must end this blog post with a funny David story.  The other night David and I  were snuggling in bed.  I was nuzzling his cheek and telling him how much I loved him and how proud I am of him.  He got very quiet so I assumed that he was drifting off to sleep.  After a few minutes of silence David all of a sudden whispered "well, this is awkward."  I guess maybe he is getting too old for Mom's snuggles??!!!  I just rolled with laughter-that is our David!

No comments:

Post a Comment