Friday, September 4, 2009

Cool quotes and such

"Real friends do not count chromosomes!" I love this quote so much and I ran across it on a Facebook profile for Down Syndrome. I finally caved and created a Facebook account and found it on there. Love it! David is blessed with so many friends at this stage of his life and I just pray that it continues. Raising a child with DS is fun, exhausting, and overall we just feel so blessed to get to raise this wild man. Parenting any child is not easy, but when you have a child with a disability small milestones become a huge celebration!

Inclusion is such a buzz word these days but what does it really mean for David? So far, we have been blessed that David has been in an educational setting where he is truly "included". Basically that means that he has been for the last two years in a regular classroom with his friends. Yes, he has support people in place such as an occupational therapist, physical therapist, speech therapist, special ed teacher and such, but all these wonderful ladies help make a regular classroom work for David.

I pray for David as he gets older that these friends he is in class with will always love and accept him because they have been in class together since Pre-K. My prayer for David is just like any other mommy's prayer that my child is loved, accepted, and is learning at school despite the number of chromosomes he has:)

Unfortunately in my school days years ago, children with IEPs were not in typical classes and I did not get the precious opportunity to get to know a child like David because he/she never sat beside me in class. Hopefully David and Kyle's generation will be so much more tolerant and open-minded of others because of inclusion in their classrooms now:)

No comments:

Post a Comment