I rarely use this blog as a political sounding board, but I just had to post about the Freedom of Choice Act (FOCA). I have heard much about it, but today at church we were given more information about it and even little postcards to send to our Congressmen to speak out against this bill.
Basically, this bill would go way beyond Roe vs. Wade in the debate on abortion and become an entitlement that the government must fund and promote. Basically FOCA would (if passed)
* Eliminate regulations that protect women from unsafe clinics
* Force American taxpayers to fund abortions
* Force every state to allow partial-birth abortions
* Run roughshod over the conscience rights of physicians, nurses, and hospitals that oppose abortions.
* Strip parents of their right and responsibility to be involved in their MINOR daughter's abortion decision.
Quite frankly FOCA is without a doubt the most radical abortion legislation ever considered in the US. President Obama has already said he WILL sign sign the FOCA bill if it gets to his desk. Fortunately there is still time to voice our opinion about this bill to our local Congressmen. All three of our Congressmen here in VA (Boucher, Webb, and Warner) are democrats that are moderates and might listen to our opposition to this bill. Go to the website http://www.fightfoca.com/ to sign this petition!
While researching FOCA today after church I ran across this amazing video by Nick Cannon. This is a true story of his own mother's story of choosing life. His mother changed her mind at the abortion clinic and here is his real story. (At the end of the video you see Nick hugging his real Mom and it brought me to tears). Don't forget to pause play list music at the bottom to hear this video.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart.