Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Are We Listening

First, a David update, he is doing well and we have had a great day together.  He is so strong and I am so proud of him.  As I think about his attitude toward treatment I am so impressed.  I know I would have probably been pouting or frustrated for having to be here especially considering how good he has felt the last few weeks.  He instead just rolls with it.

As I sit here in 7 West listening to David snoring so loud that I am sure we are violating some noise ordinance, I am also reflecting on what God wants of me as I grow in my relationship with him. 

So often I get wrapped up in my work, sports, and activities that just take up time and are not so meaningful.  It happened again tonight.  After David fell asleep, I turned on the Red Sox game and got out my email.  Today on the way up here that was not the plan as I listened to Max Lucado podcasts that a friend so graciously downloaded and shared with me for my travels this week.  The plan was going to be that I would continue my listening, reflecting, and praying.  It was easy to give God the time on the way to Charlottesville -- the boys both had an Ipad, the trip has become so familiar, and there was nothing much on the radio.  I think I listened to 4 of the podcast sermons which talked about the life of Joseph and how to deal with difficult situations in our lives.  What I needed to do tonight was listen.

I really think we need to listen more to Gods calling.  Laura and I both have always been Christians.  Laura has always been more open and sharing of her faith and I have always been a little more reserved in my sharing.  I also know that my faith journey has had times where I am not as focused on my spiritual journey as I should.  This is probably normal but it still leaves me with a little guilt.  I know for me that I am working hard at getting better about not having so many pauses in my walk with God.  Especially after seeing the many blessings he has bestowed on David and our family.  Blessings?  Yes blessings -- no cancer on the CT scans, David's great attitude and resilience, the support of family, friends, and community, the opportunity to support causes, the many touching comments that people have made after reading the blog and commenting how it ministered to them.  Yes we are blessed even during David's difficult journey fighting cancer.

My reflections tonight:  Am I listening?  I hope so.  I know God is trying to deliver a message to me.  I can honestly say that I am more focused on listening, praying, reading, and being aware of God in my everyday life.  I am working to recognize that he is trying to get my attention while at work, while I am enjoying sports, and when I spend time doing other activities.  I do not need to stop these other things if I recognize him during these times and spend a moment focused on listening to what he wants of me. 

Let us all vow to a make more time for our relationship building with God.  If you are a schedule person, add it to your schedule.  Make time for a conversation with him.  Listen to his calling.  Listen for his direction. Listen for his desire to walk with you and share your life's journey.


Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for this wonderful message, Mr. Robinson. Praying for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this message. I am so proud to be an employee of Smyth County Schools knowing that our leader is a Christian and a very proud one at that. Thank you to your whole family for allowing us to be apart of this journey. Prayers and thoughts are with you all daily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike and Laura, I always knew that you two were very special people and adored both of you when you were here in OC. I still have fond memories of you both. What a testimony you and your family are to God. I read your blog all of the time to catch up on David and the rest of the family. I have given the blog to so many people to hopefully share your tremendous faith with others. You have touched so many people and David is loved by so many. I know that our Jesus will be there with you every step of the way as he has been until this Goliath is defeated. Hugs to you and Mike, Kyle, David and Hope from your "favorite nurse" in Hornet Land. If you need anything when you are up at UVA, please don't hesitate to call me. I can be there within the hour. Love to your family, Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so grateful for "real" people that go through the fire and, even when tired or discouraged, still hold on to our Savior, the only one who can give the strength we need to trust that his ways are better than ours. I'm sorry your family is going through this but please know that you are an encouragment to all. As a Christian, I think we all feel "forsaken" at some point, but know that you and your family are not. You are prayed for daily and God is the 6th man in this fire (other than your family)with you. Finding that place of trust in God (no matter what the circumstance) brings peace that passes all understanding. Praying that for your family as you journey through this.

    ReplyDelete