Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Home Again:)

We are finally home again! As the guest blogger shared yesterday, Pops and I took David to his weekly clinic visit to receive his chemo and the oncologist decided that he needed a night in the hospital to rehydrate. Apparently the abdominal radiation has caught up with him and he has had lots of diarehha and cramping. When we first got to clinic he dry heeved, which is not a good sign. So they accessed the port (prayers made that much smoother thank you) and then he was hooked up to IV fluids.

Because David is down to one kidney, his creatinine and blood pressure have to be monitered closely to make sure his one good kidney is not stressed. Dehydration is hard on a kidney, so we really must watch his levels closely. After being admitted, David got really really sick with some bad diarehha so as sad as it was to go back on the floor we were glad we were there. I now see why they advised us to bring an overnight bag to clinic:)

I really like the idea of the weekly clinics. I thought it would be a quick hook up to chemo and then discharge. Little did I know that it is really going to be a big day and the appointment will probably be about four hours. I was annoyed at first how long we had to wait, but then when I saw how thorough the onocologist was with David I was so appreciative. He is first triaged for weight, blood temp, etc... Then we were put in a room and he was able to go pick a movie to watch in his room.

While he watches a movie, the oncologist came in to meet with me. She really was thorough and we talked for about 30 minutes. Then the two sweetest nurses EVER came in and accessed his port. While the oncologist and I talked, they put some numbing creme on it to make the port access less dramatic. I was totally dreading it and I had prayed so hard about it, and frankly he cried but for just a minute. He is truly more traumatized over the blasted tape than the stick.

Then blood work was drawn and while the labs were processing, a teacher came and worked with David some (he was a little too punky to do anything with her) but she tried, and then a social worker came and checked in with me. She was so kind and empathetic that I cried a little on her.

Then the labs came back and he was deemed healthy enough for Vanchristine and we did the chemo. Then we were escorted to the floor for a "hospital sleepover" and we were there until lunchtime today.

Last night I had a little bit of a pity party due to exhaustion and I really thought about how God has had his hand in this whole nightmare. If the clinic would not have been so slammed and we would have had to not wait, then really he might have been sent hom yesterday and he would have gotten that sick on the interstate. I cringe thinking about that. The Lord has truly smoothed our path each step of the way:)

His hair is REALLY falling out now. I think by this weekend it will all be gone. We are both struggling a little with this, but it just gives us hope that if the chemo is going after hair cells, then it is going after the cancer. Last night I slept with David in the hospital bed and when we woke up this morning we were literally covered in hair. I sent our pj's down to the hospital laundry it was that bad.

It is slowly sinking in that this is truly going to be a marathon for us. We have a lot to learn still and we still have a long road to go, but we know that we are in the hands of the Great Physician and He loves us all so much. He was so with us yesterday and Pops and I both felt his peace during that visit. We were both so nervous and it really was not traumatic on David. He even got to pick a toy out of the treasure box:)

So after two days of Cville, we are home again and look how happy these two are:

Two of my cuties! My other cuties were at a swim team banquet tonight:)

My skinny Rock Star with a lot less hair:)

David insisted to take this picture of Hope:)

This week has so far been pretty exhausting with an overnight "hospital sleepover" that we were not expecting. Next week we will be better prepared for clinic with more snacks and toys:) A sweet lady from my parents church sent me this verse and I am clinging to it tonight:

But now, thus says the Lord, who created you, "Fear not for I have redeemed you; I have called you by your name; You are Mine. When you pass through the water, I will be with you; And through the rivers, they shall not overflow you. When you walk through the fire, you shall not be burned, Nor shall the flame scorch you. For I am the Lord your God, The Holy one of Israel, Your Savior.

Isaiah 43:1-3

I don't know about you, but I am feeling the heat from the fire. As parents we have watched our child wretch over a throw up bucket, cleaned his bottom that is raw from all the diarehha, and watched his gorgeous red hair fall out in chunks just over the last few days. We are scared and weary but we are clinging to this verse because frankly we are feeling the heat from the fire. But we are so reassured that despite how hot the heat from the fire gets, because of our Jesus we are not going to be burned. I also adore the part of the verse that reassures us that we are HIS.

Our Jesus knows that as a family we are feeling the heat from the fire and He has promised that we will not be scorched and burned. He will continue to be with us each step of the way:)

Please pray for us tomorrow. We are soooo excited that if David feels up to it then we are going to his school to visit. As excited as we are, I know it will be emotional to hug on the awesome group that has loved on our boy while in the building and from afar while in the hospital:) Good night from Camp Home-this Momma is excited to sleep in her big bed!!

No comments:

Post a Comment