Sunday, January 29, 2012

Sunday evening news

What a super fun weekend we have had. Blessedly David has felt very well and has gotten to play some. He is still extremely weak, but we are over the moon about getting to come home tomorrow. This hospital stay has been brutal on his little body with that nasty bacterial infection. We are thrilled to come home and let his body rest and recover. Sadly he will not be able to go to school or be in large crowds due to his low counts, he is considered neutropenic and he will be staying home with me. His weight is down to 45.8 as of tonight,, so hopefully some home cooking and rest will strengthen his little body for his next five day battle on February 9th.

This weekend I have so enjoyed having Kyle and Hope here. Kyle and Mike headed home this morning and Hope stayed here with me. GG came today to help me. GG sat with David today and Hope and I headed to camp Pendleton for a nap and then we stopped by the mall for a little Build-a-bear fun. She made a cute girl chipmunk from the movie. My sweet girl stuffed it with 2 hearts-one for her and one for David. She is at such a precious age. She is beyond excited to come back to hospital tomorrow at nine in the morning to go to preschool here with Haley. Patients and their siblings can attend school here and there is an huge bunny in the preschool room that she loves. She is super excited about preschool here at "dave's big hospital"

Tonght during my bible study I stumbled across John 9: 1-3.
As he went along he saw a blind man from birth.his disciples asked him, "Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents that he was born blind?"
"neither this man nor his parents sinned", said Jesus, but this happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his life.

Wow. That scripture speaks volumes to me in terms of the first Goliath in David's life called Down Syndrome. God did not goof and
accidentally add one extra chromosome to sweet David, but so that His work may be glorified. When David reaches an unexpected milestone or is protected from a possible life-threatening infection like this week we have no choice but to give God the glory. I also think of all the sweet faces of our friends at our Down Syndrome buddy walk and could just bawl happy tears. God's handiwork is so much more evident in these "differently abled" friends. May God continue to reveal his glory through David and all of his friends.

That scripture also reminds me that God is always working and that when you receive a diagnosis such as Down Syndrome or even cancer, that we must step back and allow God's plan and glory to be revealed. I am not sure why we are sitting here at UVA with my sick boy or even why he was given an extra chromosome, but I pray as a parents we allow God to be the center of our family so that He will be glorified through these Goliaths in our life. Goodnight from 7 Central for what we pray is our final night this stay:)

3 comments:

  1. What encouraging and uplifting words! No matter what the diagnosis, His glory will be revealed! I pray that God continues to strengthen each one of you during this journey and with each milestone, God will be glorified! God bless you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found that exact same scripture yesterday and was thinking about it in terms of your family and what my own family is going through at this time. So funny that you would post it the same night I was reciting it to my husband. Thanks for continuing to share your story. Our thoughts and prayers continue to be with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That was such a perfect verse! My son has Cerebral Palsy and lots of people make comments like "oh, I am so sorry..." and when I say "I would never minimalize what he has, yet we all have something that hinders us in life, his is just visible. He is loved and emotionally happy and secure." but you nailed it on the head with that verse and brought it back to the fact that God makes no mistakes! My husband has been having a rough time with it lately (realizing our son may never walk, play ball, etc)but your perspective brought tears to his eyes. Thank you for the blessing of your post! Karin in CA

    ReplyDelete